Thursday, July 10, 2008

Accessing Free Hotspot at Gloria Jeans Coffee Pekanbaru

Being bored and feeling super slow browsing the net through my “still at GPRS speed” of Telkomsel Flash, I decided to go to the Mall again, that is Ciputra Mall. It is always the nearest to my uncle’s home. So, for the past few times, I have been always using KimTeng Cafe’s hotspot.
Apart from its fast connection and affordable food and drinks, KimTeng is filled with smokers and exhaust fan is just not enough to handle all of them. So, its been really unhealthy sitting too long there. For the past few times, I could have utilized more than 2 GB bandwidth only while in KimTeng Cafe.

For some of you who are still wondering what is KimTeng Cafe, it is the newly opened branch of the local coffee shop in Pekanbaru, which has been in operation for very long. Previously it was just a normal coffee shop at the market. Now they are using Cafe’s concept and open it around malls in Pekanbaru.

Okay, back to Gloria Jeans. So, being considerate and not wanting to keep high profile at KimTeng Cafe, I decided to try out Gloria Jean’s free hotspot this time. With a cup of Camomile tea (SGD 2.5 / Rp. 15000), I am seated nicely in this sofa, browsing away to the internet world.

After browsing smoothly for a little while, things started to get weird. Imageshack.us is showing Tours and Travel website, and Google.com is showing that “this domain services has been discontinued”. And slowly after, no sites can be accessed. What the hell is happening here. So, I try try and try, and I gave up finally. Its time to move back to KimTeng. Back to KimTeng, I still can’t surf at all. Its either they have activated the prepaid account for the hotspot, or my Macbook has some error in the system. So, I tried my Telkomsel Flash again, it got connected, but still can’t surf at all.

It got me worry a lot and takes up very long hours figuring what can be wrong. After cleaning up caches, cookies, and everything, still the same. And then I look for terminal code to flush DNS. And I did that. After that, things are better, at least now I can surf again. Wondering what is wrong here. Could it be a spyware? Malware? Does Mac OS X.5 prone to it?

Its still a mistery and I shall find out more.

No more KimTeng, no more Gloria Jeans free hotspot. Next, if I really need one, I shall go to J.CO already. It sux when you have own internet but very slow, and you rely a lot at these free hotspots. I am going to subscribe to Telkom Speedy soon. Damn.

No comments:


Blogspot Template by Isnaini Dot Com